S.S. AVONDALE PARK
Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship (D.E.M.S.)
Avondale Park was a Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship (DEMS). Though manned by a civilian crew, she had RCN sailors on board to man and operate the gun that was fitted to her for protection and convoy defence.
Avondale Park was a 2,872 GRT cargo ship which was built by Pictou Shipyard at Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1944. She was the last merchant ship to be sunk by Germany in the Second World War, on 7 May 1945, the day of German surrender. She was built as merchant steamship constructed for Canada’s Merchant Navy in 1944 as part of Canada's Park ship program.
SS AVONDALE memorial plaque
East Shore, Anstruther, Scotland
Photographer: Grant Balfour - 07 Jul 2019
click on the above photo to view a larger image