Ottawa Half-Company, RCNVR
Naval Reserve Division, Ottawa, Ontario
Photo above- centre: The large building, No. 1, contained ship's offices, cabins for the CO, XO and other senior officers, wardroom (large vertical windows on second deck), seamen's mess (below decks) and wrens' mess on the third deck. The large drill deck was immediately to the rear and one can see the recruiting office at the extreme right of the photo.
HMCS Carleton was stood up on 21 Mar 1923 as the Ottawa Half-Company, RCNVR. When was was declared in 1939 she was known as the Ottawa Division RCNVR and during the war saw to the training of 4,620 officers and men. On 01 Nov 1941 she was commissioned as HMCS Carleton (tender to HMCS Bytown) and was paid off a short time later on 21 May 1941 and amalgamated with HMCS Bytown. On 23 Nov 1942 she was stood up again as a separate unit and re-commissioned as HMCS Carleton .
In the winter of 2007-08, the drill deck roof was damaged by heavy snow accumulation and a decision was taken not to repair but to demolish the main building and Bldg. 3. The new building at 79 Prince of Wales Drive was re-dedicated 21 Nov 2015.
A/SLt Robert Shipley, RCNVR - 21 Mar 1923 - unk
Photos and Documents