Wickes Class Destroyer - USN
Town Class Destroyer - RN
This page is not meant to be a comprehensive history of HMS GEORGETOWN, but a record of sailors of the ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY who served in her, photos they took and stories they may have shared with their families.
Ex USS MADDOX (Type C - ANNAPOLIS-Class) built by Bethlehem Steel Fore River. The ship was launched on 27th October 1918 and completed on 10th March 1919. She was transferred to the RN under the US/UK Lend Lease Agreement on 23rd September 1940. On commissioning she was named HMS MADDOX as the names to be used by this Class of destroyers had not been announced. The ship was later renamed HMS GEORGETOWN which is a name cannon to a town in USA and the capital of the then British Guiana. In March 1942 following a successful WARSHIP WEEK National Savings campaign in May 1942 this ship was adopted by the civil community of Battle, East Sussex.
In Dec 1943 she was paid off into reserve at Hartpool, UK. In early 1945 she was selected for transfer to the Soviet Navy and was refitted in Jun-Jul 1944. In Jul 1944 Soviet Navy personnel joined the ship and she was renamed ZHOSTKI. She took passage to the USSR with Murmansk convoy JW59. She served in the Russian Northern Fleet as ZHOSTKI until August 1952 when she was towed to Rosyth. This ship reverted to her previous identity on 9th September 1952. Immediately placed on the Disposal List she was sold to BISCO for demolition by T W Ward for demolition at Inverkeithing, near Rosyth and arrived in tow at the shipbreaker’s yard on 16th September 1952.
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten