No. 78 was a seized vessel taken over by the RCMP Marine Section in 1935. Re-named Protector in 1936 she worked in the Bay of Fundy out of Richibucto, New Brunswick. She was turned over to the RCN in 1939 and was renamed PROTECTOR and served as a depot ship to the shore station HMCS PROTECTOR (Point Edward Naval Station), Sydney, NS. In 1942 she was renamed HC63. She was declared surplus and turned over to CADC on 30 August 1945.