HMCS GIVENCHY / GIVENCHY II
Battle Class Trawler
Built at Montreal, GIVENCHY was commissioned there on 22 Jun 1918. She was named for the Battle of Givenchy that took place on 15-16 June 1915. On 30 Jun 1918, GIVENCHY was listed as a patrol vessel. She was paid off on 12 Aug 1919 at Esquimalt. She then entered the service of the Department of Marine and Fisheries as a fishery protection vessel, but was returned to the RCN on 15 Apr 1939.
She served as a depot ship for auxiliary vessels in Esquimalt 25 Jun 1940 - 21 Oct 1940. Known as GIVENCHY (Hulk) 21 Oct 1940 - 18 Apr 1943. Re-named GIVENCHY II 18 Apr 1943. Became a floating barracks in Vancouver 07 Dec 1943 - Jul 1944; in Esquimalt Jul 1944 - Oct 1945. Sold on 19 Sep 1946, GIVENCHY is thought to have been broken up in the U.S. in 1953.
Photos and Documents Ship's company photos
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Photos and Documents
Article on HMCS THIEPVAL, HMCS GIVENCHY, HMCS ARMENTIERES and HMCS STADACONA transiting from Halifax to Esquimalt. THIEPVAL arrived safely in Esquimalt, while ARMENTIERES and GIVENCHY had to escort / tow STADACONA to San Francisco after she lost her rudder in a storm
The Daily Colonist, Victoria, BC, Saturday 24 May 1919
Courtesy of Dwight Farrell
Courtesy of the CFB Esquimalt Naval and Military Museum
HMCS GIVENCHY - undated
RCN photo - Crown Copyright