For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS KAPUSKASING J326 / 171
Then CFAV KAPUSKASKING 173
Commissioned at Port Arthur on 17 Aug 1944, Kapuskasing arrived at Halifax early in Sep 1944 and on 01 Oct 1944 proceeded to Bermuda to work up. She returned to Halifax in mid-Nov 1944 and was assigned as Senior Officer's ship to EG W-1 of Western Escort Force When the force was disbanded in Jun 1945, she was placed temporarily in maintenance reserve at Sydney, then taken to Halifax for refit in Nov 1945. On completion of the refit, she was paid off into reserve on 27 March 1946. In 1949, she was loaned to the Department of Mines and Technical Surveys and converted for hydrographic survey work. Returned to the Navy in 1972 and based in Halifax Kapuskasing became part of the navy’s auxiliary fleet (pennant number 173), manned by a civilian crew until she was expended as a target on 3 October 1978.
Photos and Documents