TR 36


Minesweeping Trawler



TR 36 ready for launching.

Source: flicker photo collection of Ron Bell


Delivered to the RCN: 05 Jun 1918

Paid off: 07 Jan 1919

Fate: Sold in Aug 1926. Foundered 08 Dec 1931


Built by David Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Ltd., Lauzon, Que., she was completed on 05 Jun 1918. Displacement: 275 tons, Length: 125 ft, Beam: 23.5 ft, Draught: 13.5 ft, Speed: 10 kts, Armament: 1-12pdr. Paid off on 07 Jan 1919, she was sold in Aug 1926 to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co. Ltd., Fleetwood and renamed Ferrol FD124. On 08 Dec 1931, while on a trip to Butt of Lewis grounds, at about 0600 with strong southerly wind and sea, she was stranded at Crianan Head, 3 miles west of Tuipan Head Lighthouse, Eye Peninsular, Isle of Lewis. She was declared a total loss, but all crew of twelve safe. Only the wheelhouse and funnel remained above water.



Commanding Officers


Skpr James Arthur Hiltz, RCN - 06 Jun 1918 - unk



     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten


Hiltz, James Arthur


Commanding Officer

06 Jun 1918

Wentzell, Leham York


Drafted to TR 36 on 05 Jun 1918 as Mate, RNCVR