S.S. WILLOWDALE PARK
Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship (D.E.M.S.)
Willowdale Park was a Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship (DEMS). Though manned by a civilian crew, she had RCN sailors on board to man and operate the gun that was fitted to her for protection and convoy defence. Willowdale Park was built as a ‘Victory’ Type Tanker by West Coast Shipbuilders Ltd., Vancouver and delivered to the MOWT during March 1944, with Imperial Oil Ltd., Toronto nominated as manager. She was sold in 1946 and renamed Georgia. Her owners converted her to dry cargo duties during 1955 and then sold her in 1957 when she was named San Poulo. A further sale in 1959 saw her renamed Matija Gubec and she saw out her days as such before being broken up at Sakai beginning 24 January 1967.
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten