PORT NELSON WIRELESS STATION
The wireless station at Port Nelson, located at the moth of the Nelson River on the shores of Hudson Bay was designed to performance standards set by the Radiotelegraph Branch of the Department of Naval Service. It went operations on 20 Feb 1914. At it's peak in 1916, Port Nelson handled 7,817 messages. On October 15, 1918, word came through from Ottawa to lay off all crews and staff at the wireless stations. This action resulted in the permanent closure of VBN, Port Nelson.