HMCS FORT RAMSAY
HMCS FORT RAMSAY was a Royal Canadian Navy base located at Sandy Beach on the southern shore of Gaspé Bay, several kilometres west of Gaspé, Quebec. Its construction was commissioned in 1940 and the base was inaugurated by the RCN on May 1, 1942. Several shore batteries were linked to this base, such as Fort Prével, Fort Haldimand and Fort Péninsule. On March 31, 1946, the base was decommissioned, almost a year after the Second World War ended. Today the base property is operated as the Sandy Beach Terminal of the Port of Gaspé and is primarily used for industrial and commercial purposes.
Photos and Documents
Hockey team wearing Fort Ramsay and Gaspe jerseys
Courtesy of Donald MacDonald