During the Second World War, the many administrative problems concerning British personnel serving afloat in Canadian waters, and in connection with the manning of ships built in Canada for the Royal Navy, led the Admiralty to establish a general administrative base at Halifax in late 1942. Commissioned as HMS CANADA the establishment was set up as an independent command under a Captain, R.N. By March 1943 its staff numbered fifty and it was responsible for some four thousand men. A year later it was placed under the Canadian naval authorities for all matters other than pay accounting. In July 1944 its remaining duties were assumed by the Royal Naval Air Station which had been commissioned late in 1943 as HMS SEABORN.