For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS ARNPRIOR K494
Uruguayan Navy ROU MONTEVIDEO PF1
Laid down as HMS Rising Castle K398, she was built by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast, Ireland. After completion, she was transferred and commissioned into the RCN on 08 Jun 1944 as HMCS Arnprior K494 (renamed on the day she was commissioned). After working up at Tobermory she joined EG C-1 at Londonderry in August, leaving on 19 Aug 1944 to join her first convoy, ONM.249. Arnprior was continuously employed as an ocean escort for the balance of the war. At the beginning of Jun 1945, she left Greenock for St. John's, where she underwent a two-month refit, and from September was based at Halifax. She was paid off there on 14 Mar 1946, and sold later that year to the Uruguayan Navy, which renamed her Montevideo and operated her as a training ship until 1975.
Photos and Documents