For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

 

HMCS MALLARD 783

 

HMCS Mallard 783, 04 Jun 1960

 

Laid down: 

Launched: 30 Apr 1956

Commissioned: 16 Jul 1956

Paid off: 02 Sep 1965

Fate: Unknown

 

 

HMCS Mallard was built by Grew Boat Works, Penetanguishene, Ont. Here specifications on completion were: Displacement: 66 tons, Length: 92 ft, Beam 17 ft, Draught: 5.3 ft, Complement: 2 officers, 19 men, Armament: 1-20mm, Hedgehog. The Navy turned Loon, Mallard, and Cormorant over to the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation in the 1960s. Last reported Mallard sas lying alongside a dock in St. Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia.

 

Photos and Documents

 

Commanding Officers

LCdr Charles Robin Manifold, RCN - 16 Jul 1956 - unk

C1Q1 CE Giles, RCN - 15 May 1960 - unk

CPO1 W. Brown, Bos'n - 15 Jan 1962 - unk

CPO1 Amirault, Bos'n, RCN - 1962 - unk

Lt (N) Comeau, Guy - Summer 1966 (and commander of training flotilla of the Bird Class boats for Summer 1966 training season)

 

     In memory of those who have crossed the bar    

They shall not be forgotten

 

Photos and Documents

 

 

HMCS MALLARD with HMCS LOON on her starboard side during summer training in the Maritimes - Aug 1966

 

Photo taken from HMCS CORMORANT 781

 

The last time the "Birds" were used was the summer of 1966. The were conducting navigation and seamanship training for ROTP cadets in the Gulf of St Lawrence through July and August. There was a small permanent force crew and the midshipmen performed most of the other duties (including duty cook). Over night port visits were conducted in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. The permanent staff were CO, Cox'n, Engineer, Bos'n and a couple of others. Rotation of the midshipmen occurred every two weeks

 

Courtesy of John Gable

 

Paying-off of HMCS Mallard 783 and HMCS Cormorant 781 at RCNAS Shearwater jetty

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT