For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS VILLE DE QUEBEC K242
Built by Morton Engineering & Dry Dock Co., Quebec City, Que, she was laid down on 07 Jun 1941 as HMCS Quebec. Renamed in Apr 1942, she was commissioned on 24 May 1942, at Quebec City as HMCS Ville de Quebec K242. She sailed for Halifax on 06 Jun 1942, and arrived there on 12 Jun 1942 having escorted Quebec-Sydney convoy QS.7 en route. After a brief period for final fitting of equipment, she sailed on her first operation cruise on 06 Jul 1942. Late in Jul 1942, after working up at Pictou, she was assigned to WLEF and used almost exclusively as an escort to convoys between Boston and Halifax. In Sep 1942 Ville de Québec was allocated to Operation "Torch." For her Atlantic crossing she was assigned as escort to Convoy HX-212. Not being a regular member of the escort group, she was assigned to pick up survivors. When she arrived in Liverpool on 21 Sep 1942, she landed 172 merchant seamen from some of the six ships that had been torpedoed and sunk. She arrived at Londonderry on 10 Nov 1942, sailing again on 26 Nov 1942 as escort to convoy KMS.4G to Bone, North Africa. For the succeeding four months was employed on U.K.-Mediterranean convoys. On 13 Jan 1943, she sank U 224 west of Algiers. She made one attach with depth-charges and, as she was turning to make another, saw the U-boat break surface in the middle of the depth-charge pattern Ville de Quebec turned and rammed the U-boat, sinking it. She returned to Canada in Apr 1943, carried out brief repairs at Halifax, then arrived at Gaspé on 12 May 1943 to join Quebec Force, escorting Quebec-Sydney and Quebec-Labrador convoys. In Sep 1943 she returned to Halifax and later that month joined EG W-2, WLEF. In mid-Jan 1944, she began an extensive refit at Liverpool, N.S., completing early in May 1944, and on 22 May 1944 left for a month's workups in Bermuda. On her return she joined EG C-4 for one round trip to Londonderry, transferring in Sept 1944 to EG 41, Plymouth. Based at Milford Haven, she served with that group for the balance of the war. On 22 Apr 1945, HMCS Ville de Quebec K242 returned to Halifax with convoy ONS.2, and was later paid off on 06 Jul 1945 at Sorel. Sold for mercantile use in 1946 and renamed Dispina; Dorothea Paxos in 1947; Tanya in 1948; and Medex in 1949. She was listed on Lloyd's Register until 1952.
Photos and Documents