For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS WHITBY K346
Built at Midland, Ont, she was commissioned at there on 06 Jun 1944, she did not arrive at Halifax until 16 Aug 1944, owing to a layover en route at Shelburne for repairs. Following workups in Bermuda in Sep 1944 she sailed direct to St. John's, arriving on 30 Sep 1944, and was assigned to EG C-4. She left St. John's on 05 Oct 1944 for Londonderry to join the group, with which she was to serve for the balance of the war. Whitby left Londonderry for Canada in mid-Jun 1945, and was paid off on 16 Jul 1945 and placed in reserve at Sorel. She was sold in 1946 for merchant service. Whitby was acquired by Portuguese Navy from the USA, and renamed NRP Bengo on 29 Apr 1948, probably for the delivery voyage to Mozambique, and on 01 Oct 1948 converted to pilot tender and renamed Bengo. She was still in service as the pilot vessel BENGO at Lourenco Marques (now Maputo) in Mozambique in Aug 1977.
Photos and Documents