For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

HMCS QUEEN CHARLOTTE

Former RCNVR Half-Company, Charlottetown Division

Naval Reserve Unit

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

 

HMCS Queen Charlotte

Naval Reserve Division

Charlottetown, PE

 

HMCS Queen Charlotte is the Naval Reserve Division in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The division is located on the waterfront of the city. In the early 20th century, the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve was formed and recruitment began on Prince Edward Island. By September 1923, the required minimum 30 volunteers had been enrolled, with Lieutenant George Buntain as the first Commanding Officer of Queen Charlotte. The unit had simple accommodations being house with local militia units. However, as recruiting and training requirements increased, a new location was needed. The unit moved to the Navy League building on Haviland St in Charlottetown and later moved to the Simms Building on the corner of Kent and Hilslborough Streets in Charlottetown in 1936. On 01 Nov 1941, the unit was commissioned as a tender to HMCS Stadacona in Halifax. On 01 Sep 1942, she was re-commissioned as an independent shore establishment - HMCS Queen Charlotte. She was paid off on 15 Dec 1964 and re-commissioned on 17 Sep 1995

 

Photos and Documents

 

Commanding Officers

Lt George Buntain - Sep 1923 - unknown

 

 

Photos and Documents

 

 

Photos taken by Hector Trotter, RCNVR, while serving in HMCS Queen Charlotte - 1942-1943

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

photo 6

photo 7

photo 8

(1) Gord Wheelock & Jim Belya at cottage, York Pt, PEI, Spring 1943  (2) Glen MacPherson - 1943  (3) Gord Wheelock with chicken soup at cottage, York Pt, PEI, Spring 1943  (4) Doc Wheelock & Jim Belyea on ice at York Pt, PEI, spring 1943  (5) Ed Aust - Spring 1943  (6) Bob Morris - 1943  (7) Jim Belyea & Pete Marshall at Victoria Park, Spring 1943  (8) Victoria Park, Charlottetown, PEI, Spring 1943

 

Photo 9

photo 10

photo 11

photo 12

photo 13

(9) Hockey Team 1942-43  (1) Capt Toplitzsky (sp?) and Whitlock - Spring 1943  (11) Buck Whitlock - 1943  (12 & 13) Vern Blanchard - 1943

 

photo 14

photo 15

photo 16

(14 - 16) Ship's Company, HMCS Queen Charlotte - Spring 1943

 

photo 17

photo 18

photo 19

photo 20

photo 21

photo 22

photo 23

photo 24

photo 25

photo 26

photo 27

photo 28

4th Victory Loan Parade, Charlottetown, PEI - 1943

(17 & 18) Honour Guard  (20) Major Robertson leading 4th Victory Loan Parade  (21) Pete Marshall and Honour Guard  (23) Lt Gov LePage (with Capt Blake RAF) taking the salute  (24) Dan McLennan (front)  (25) Peter Marshall and Honour Guard  (26 & 27) Norm Saunders (front)  (28) Station wagon with Victory Bond posters

 

photo 28

photo 29

photo 30

photo 31

photo 32

photo 33

photo 34

photo 35

(28) Charlottetown waterfront - 1943  (29) Chartered boat - fall of 1942  (30) Marine Wharf - 1943  (31) Dalvay House, PEI  (32 - 35) Avro Anson visiting Dalvay Party - Spring 1943

 

 

 

Officers of HMCS Queen Charlotte - May 1943

From the collection of Hector Trotter

Courtesy of Colin Trotter

Click on the above photo to view it without numbers

 

(1) Hector Trotter  (2) Pete Marshall  (3) Greg Crawley  (4) Bob Morris  (5) George Hart  (6) Charlie McKenzie  (7) Ed Aust  (8) Dan McLannan  (9) Sam Salmon  (10) Ian Burnett  (11) Corkum, Max

 

Click here to view the names on the back of the photo

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT