For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS UNGAVA J149
Built by North Vancouver Ship Repairs Ltd., she was commissioned at Vancouver on 05 Sep 1941. Ungava left Esquimalt on 10 Oct 1941 for Halifax, arriving on 14 Nov 1941. Initially assigned to Halifax Force, she was transferred in May 1943, to Gaspé Force, then back to Halifax Force in Dec 1943. In May 1944, she joined Sydney Force, returning again to Halifax Force in Feb 1945. Following a refit from Apr to May 1945, at Liverpool, N.S., she went to Bermuda to work up, and on her return after VE-Day she was assigned miscellaneous duties until paid off at Halifax on 03 Apr 1946. She was sold in 1946 to T. Harris, of Barber, New Jersey to be broken up.
Photos and Documents