For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

 

In memory of those who have Crossed the Bar 

 

William Robert William 

 

Torpedoman / Combined Operations, V49134, RCNVR / CPO, RCN

 

Born: Born 28 Feb 1925, Raymore, Saskatchewan          Died: 19 Feb 2001

 

William served in the RCN from 08 May 1946 to 20 Dec 1968

 

Wartime service of William Robert Williams (Autobiography)

 

Ships served in:

LCI(L) 262

HMCS UNICORN

HMCS CRESCENT - Served in Crescent 11 Jul 1946 - 28 Apr 1948 as AB LTO, Elect. Mate 1c and Elect 5c, RCN

ML-124 - Served in ML124 11 May 1949 - 20 Aug 1950 as a LSET and P2ET, RCN

HMCS MAGNIFICENT - Served in Magnificent 03 Jan 1952 - 28 Jun 1953 as a P1ET, RCN

HMCS PORTE QUEBEC - Served in Porte Quebec 03 Aug 1953 - 11 Sep 1955 as a P1ET, RCN

HMCS SUSSEXVALE - Served in Sussexvale 27 Oct 1955 - 11 Dec 1955 as a P1ET, RCN

HMCS SIOUX - Served in Sioux 13 Aug 1956 - 12 Jun 1957 as a P1ET4 and C2ET4  // 07 Aug 1957 - 06 Apr 1959 & 21 Apr 1959 - 30 Apr 1959 as a C2ET4, RCN

HMCS HAIDA - Served in Haida 19 Jun 1961 - 10 Oct 1953 as a C2ET4, RCN

HMCS KOOTENAY - Served in Kootenay 12 Nov 1964 - 23 May 1966 as a C2ET4, RCN

 

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

photo 6

photo 7

(1) Torpedoman Williams  (2) Wartime and post wartime drafts  (3) Sea Transport Embarkation Card 135  (4) The Ken Club, Boston, Mass - Christmas 1944. William R. Williams 2nd from right  (5) Petty Officer W.R. Williams circa 1950s

 

(6) William R. Williams (left) with his uncle, James Edward Williams, former Royal Marine and 27th Battalion (City of Winnipeg) CEF.

- Historical note: The 27th Battalion (City of Winnipeg), CEF was an infantry battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. The battalion was authorized on 7 November 1914 and embarked for Great Britain on 17 May 1915. It disembarked in France on 18 September 1915, where it fought as part of the 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1920

 

(7) William R. Williams and friends at Club Sirocco, Victoria BC, 16 Dec 1946 (while drafted to HMCS Givenchy).

- Historical note: Built in 1929, it was originally named the Victoria Shrine Temple. In 1965 it was re-named The Scope. It changed hands several times until it was demolished circa 1980s and an apartment building built in it's place

 

Crossed the Bar Index

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT