ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY
HMCS COWICHAN J146
Then Merchant Vessel COWICHAN (1946)
Built by North Vancouver Ship repairs Ltd., she was commissioned at Vancouver on 04 Jul 1941. She sailed from Esquimalt for Halifax on 06 Aug 1941 arriving on 10 Sep 1941. After working up in Bermuda she was initially assigned to Halifax Local Defence Force, but was transferred in Jan 1942, to Newfoundland Force and in September to WLEF. With WLEF's division into escort groups in Jun 1943, Cowichan became a member of EG W-6. She remained with the group until Feb 1944, when she was ordered to the U.K. for invasion duties. She left Halifax on 19 Feb 1944 with Caraquet, Malpeque and Vegreville via the Azores for Plymouth, arriving on 13 Mar 1944. Assigned to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla, she was present on D-Day. Cowichan returned to Canada for refit late in 19 Feb 1945, but resumed her duties overseas in June. Proceeding home in Sep 1945, she was paid off on 09 Oct 1945, and placed in reserve at Shelburne. Sold in 1946 to a New York buyer and converted for mercantile purposes under Greek flag, she still existed in 1956 under her original name.