HMCS KAMSACK K171
Flower Class Corvette
Built at Port Arthur, Ont, she was commissioned at Montreal on 04 Oct 1941. She arrived at Halifax on 13 Oct 1941. She joined Sydney Force the following month but shortly transferred to Newfoundland Command, and on 19 Jan 1942, left St. John's to pick up convoy SC.65 for Londonderry. In Jun 1942, after three round trips, she was reassigned to WLEF, then forming, and served in it for the rest of the war. From Jun 1943, she was a member of EG W-4, and from Apr 1944, a member of EG W-3. During this period she had two extensive refits" the first, begun at Liverpool, N.S., on 12 Nov 1942, was completed at Halifax on 18 Jan 1943; the second, in the course of which her fo'c's'le was extended, was carried out at Baltimore, Md., between late Dec 1943 and mid-Mar1944. KAMSACK was paid off on 22 Jul 1945, at Sorel and sold to the Venezuelan Navy.
KAMSACK was paid off on July 22, 1945, at Sorel, Quebec, and sold to the Venezuelan Navy.
On 24 Dec 1945, the Venezuelan ship KAMSACK, former HMCS KAMSACK K171 arrived at New York City from Sorel, Quebec with a skeleton crew of RCN sailors: Gerald Fitzgerald OIC, Howard Ingram, Leo McTaggart, Maurice Harasym and Clifford Ashton.
Re-named FEDERACION, she served in the Venezuelan Navy until broken up in 1956.
In memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice
Lest We Forget
died - 16 Dec 1944
In memory of those who have crossed the bar
They shall not be forgotten
Former Crew Members
Photos and Documents