For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS MONCTON K139
Commissioned at Saint John, N.B. on 24 Apr 1942, she arrived at Halifax on 12 May 1942. She was the last of the RCN's initial Flower class programme to complete, owing to heavy demands on her builder, the Saint John Dry Dock Co., for repair work to war-damaged ships. After working up she joined WLEF, Halifax, and when the force was divided into escort groups in Jun 1943, she became a member of EG W-5. She remained in this service until transferred to the west coast in Jan 1944, proceeding there via Guantanamo, Cristobal, Balboa, and San Pedro, Cal. Upon arrival she was assigned to Esquimalt Force, of which she remained a member until VJ-Day. In the course of an extensive refit at Vancouver from 05 May to 07 Jul 1944, her fo'c's'le was extended. She was paid off at Esquimalt on 12 Dec 1945, and sold for conversion to a whale-catcher at Kiel. She entered service in 1955 as the Dutch-flag Willem Vinke and was broken up at Santander, Spain, in 1966.
Photos and Documents (below)