For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS QU'APPELLE H69
Commissioned on 06 Jun 1935 as HMS Foxhound, she was a member of the 8th Flotilla, Home Fleet, on the outbreak of war, and on 14 Sep 1939, shared in the sinking of U 39 off the Hebrides - the first U-boat "Kill" of the war. In Apr 1940, she took part in the second Battle of Narvik, and in Nov 1940 was transferred to Force 'H' at Gibraltar. On 18 Jun 1941, she shared in the sinking of U 138 west of Cadiz, and she took one convoy to Malta. From Jan 1942 to May 1943, she served with the Eastern Fleet, then transferred to West Africa Command, Freetown. In Sep 1943, she returned to the U.K. for an extensive refit on the Humber, and on 08 Feb 1944, was commissioned there as HMCS Qu'Appelle. She served on D-Day with EG 12 and on 08 Jun 1944, HMCS Qu'Appelle was attacked by U-953 (Oblt Karl-Heinz Marbach). The Gnats (acoustic torpedoes) exploded in the ship's wake with no damage to the ship. After D-Day she took part in Biscay and Channel patrols, latterly with EG 11. HMCS Qu'Appelle participated in operation "Dredger" against German escort vessels at the U-boat meeting points off Brest and southward. During the night of 5/6 Jul the 12th EG, comprising of Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, Skeena and Restigouche, attacked 3 patrol boats off Brest: V715 was sunk but not before hitting Qu'Appelle and Saskatchewan many times with small calibre gunfire. She arrived at Halifax for the first time on 29 Nov 1944, and proceed to Pictou, N.S., for refit. Completing this refit on 31 Mar 1945, she served as a troop transport between Greenock and Halifax from Aug to Oct 1945. She was paid off on 11 Oct 1945 to serve as a stationary training ship attached to the Torpedo School at Halifax. Removed from service in Jun 1946, she was transferred to War Assets Corporation for disposal on 14 Apr 1947. Added to the disposal list on 12 Jul 1946, she was sold later that year for breaking up at Sydney, N.S.
Photos and Documents