For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SASKATOON K158
Commissioned at Montreal on 09 Jun 1941, Saskatoon arrived at Halifax on 22 Jun 1941. She joined Halifax Force after working up and in Aug 1941 made a trip to the Bahamas, returning at the end of Sept 1941. She remained on local escort duty until Mar 1942, then joined WLEF on its formation. She served with this force on the "triangle run" until the end of the war, becoming a member of EG W-8 when it was established in Jun 1943, and transferring to W-6 in Apr 1944. During her career she had two major refits: at Halifax from 11 Aug to 17 Nov 1942; and at Pictou from mid-Dec 1943 to 01 Apr 1944. Following the latter, which included fo'c's'le extension, she worked up for three weeks at Pictou and another three in Bermuda. She was paid off on June 25, 1945, at Sorel and soon afterward sold for converstion to a whale-catcher. She began her new career in 1948, successively named Tra los Montes, Olympic Fighter in 1950, and Otori Maru No. 6 in 1956, Last appearing in Lloyd's list for 1962-1963. (Source: The Ship's of Canada's Naval Fources 1910 - 1981 by Ken Macpherson and John Burgess)
Notes: (1) The 3rd edition of Canada's Naval Forces 1910-2002 by Ken Macpherson and Ron Barrie has an amended final paragraph for HMCS Saskatoon K158: She was paid off on 25 June 1945 at Sorel and soon afterward sold for conversion to a merchant vessel. She began her new career as Rio Norte, then the Egyptian-registered Mabruk, and was later taken up by the Egyptian Navy as Misr. She was sunk by collision at Suez, Egypt, on May 17, 1953.
(2) Online resources list the following as being the former HMCS Saskatoon K158: Renamed Tra los Montes, she served as a whaler from 1948. Renamed Olympic Fighter (1950), Otori Maru No. 6 (1956), and Kyo Maru No. 20 (1961). Last in Lloyd's Register for 1978.
(3) Website: Shipwrecks of the Gulf of Suez and the Naval Historical Society of Australia indicate that the Misr was the former HMS Papau not HMCS Saskatoon K158. The following is from "Shipwrecks of the Gulf of Suez" website: Misr - Triicoma Class Patrol Frigate/British Colony Class Frigate: (MC Type T. S2-S2-AQ1) Originally authorized as Patrol Gunboat, PG-192; Redesignated as a Patrol Frigate and named Howett (PF-84), 15 April 1943; Laid down under a Maritime Commission contract at Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc., Providence, RI; Assigned to the Royal Navy under the Lend-Lease Program; Launched 10 October 1943; Transferred to the Royal Navy and commissioned HMS Papua (K 588), 25 July 1944; Returned to U.S. custody 15 April 1946; Sold for scrapping to Boston Metals, Baltimore, MD; Resold in 1950 to Khedivial Mail Lines, Alexandria, Egypt and renamed SS Malrouk; Acquired by Egypt, rearmed and commissioned as Misr; Sank after a collision in the Gulf of Suez 17 May 1953.
Photos and Documents