For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS TIMMINS K223
Built at Esquimalt, she was commissioned there on 10 Feb 1942. Timmins served with Esquimalt Force until transferred to the east coast. Upon arrival at Halifax on 13 Oct 1942 she was assigned to WLEF. With its division into escort groups in Jun 1943, she became a member of EG W-6, transferring to W-2 in Apr 1944. She commenced a two-month refit at Liverpool, N.S., late in Jun 1943, followed by workups at Pictou. A second refit, again at Liverpool, was carried out between late Jun and mid-Oct 1944. It included the extension of her fo'c's'le and three weeks' working-up in Bermuda followed. Timmins was paid off on 15 Jul 1945, at Sorel, and sold later that year for commercial use. She entered service in 1948 as the Honduran-flag Guayaquil and, ironically, foundered at Guayaquil, Ecuador, on 03 Aug 1960.
Photos and Documents