For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS NIAGARA I57
Commissioned on 14 Jan 1919 as USS Thatcher, she served with the Pacific Fleet until 1922, when she was placed in reserve at San Diego. Briefly re-commissioned and overhauled in 1940, she was transferred to the RCN as HMCS Niagara at Halifax on 24 Sep 1940, and sailed for the U.K. on 30 Nov 1940. There, in Mar 1941, she was assigned to EG 4, Greenock, but in Jun 1941 joined the newly formed NEF. On 28 Aug 1941 she was on hand to take aboard the crew of U 570, which had surrendered to a Coastal Command aircraft south of Iceland. In Mar 1942, she joined WLEF, in June 1942 becoming a member of EG W-9 and, in Oct 1942, of W-10. In common with the other "Towns," she required major refits on a number of occasions and on 02 Mar 1944, following one of these, she became a torpedo-firing ship for training Torpedo Branch personnel at Halifax. She was paid off at Sydney on 15 Sep 1945, and broken up in 1947.
Photos and Documents